Hotels Jodhpur

Tourist Attraction Jodhpur

Located on the foothill of a sandstone hillock, the city of Jodhpur seems like an oasis in the vast desert. Jodhpur is one of the favorite tourist destinations in Rajasthan. People from India as well as all over the world visit Jodhpur every year. There are a number of tourist attractions in Jodhpur, enchanting the tourists.

Jodhpur tourist spots stand as a living proof of the splendour, traditions and culture of the Jodhpur. The glorious past of Jodhpur is personified through the various forts, palaces and other monuments of Jodhpur. The main places to see in Jodhpur Rajasthan are:

The most magnificent fort in Jodhpur is the Mehrangarh Fort. It is situated on a 150m high hill. Rao Jodha, the then chief of Rathore clan, constructed it in 1459. There are a number of attractions within the fort like several palaces, galleries, a museum, temples and so on.

One of the fascinating palaces of Jodhpur is the Umaid Bhavan palace. Maharaja Umaid Singh constructed it in 20th century. A part of the palace has now been converted into a seven star hotel and a museum.

Jaswant Thada lies to the left of the Mehrangarh fort complex. It is a royal cenotaph made up of white marble. It was built to commemorate Maharaja Jaswant Singh. Some rare portraits of the former rulers of Jodhpur are also displayed here.

The Ossian city near Jodhpur, Rajasthan is an ancient city lying in ruins. It is approximately 65 Kms from Jodhpur. The main attractions of this city are its temples that have gracefully stood the test of time. They are beautifully designed and constructed. The main ones of the Ossian Temples in Jodhpur, India are:


  • Jain Temples
  • The Sachiya Mata Temple
  • Surya Temples
  • Harihara Temples
  • Pippala Devi Temple
  • Shiv Mandir
  • Vishnu Temple

Jain temples belong to 8th and 11th century. Surya (Sun) temple and the Sachiya Mata temple are famous for their beauty. Similarly, all the other temples are famous for one thing or the other.

At one point of time in the past (8th - 12th century), this town was a great trading centre. Today, it is more like an oasis in the desert of Rajasthan. Apart from its artistic temples, the Ossian city is also known for its camel rides. The tourist can enjoy the temples and their architecture during the camel ride also.
There are approximately 15 Ossian Jain temples near Jodhpur. The most fascinating one of the Jain Ossian temples in Rajasthan is the Mahaveera temple. It is dedicated to the last (24th) Jain Prophet. The main temple was constructed around 775 A.D. And till about 15th century, the other smaller shrines were being added to the main complex.

Ossian holds a great significance for the Jain community. This is so because the Oswal Jains (a rich trading community) came from Ossian. Thus, deriving their name from this town. It is because of the donations of these Oswals only that so many temples were constructed. Even their upkeep was possible because of due participation of Oswals.

The entrance to the temple complex has carvings of beautiful maidens on it. The roof is also beautifully decorated. The terrace on which the temple stands is built up of sandstone. The main Mahaveera temple has an inner sanctum and three balconied windows. The main porch of the temple has beautifully ornate pillars. And the second porch, which was later added on, has more stylish construction. The other Jain temples are quite smaller and are uniform to some an extent. Only little differentiation can be seen among them.

A prime attraction of the city, is the Clock Tower and the colourful Sardar Market near it. Narrow alleys lead to quaint bazaars selling textiles, antiques, silverware and handicrafts
This palace is situated near Raika Bag palace railway station. It was constructed in 1663 by Hadiji, queen of King Jaswant Singh-I. King Jaswant Singh-II liked this palace very much. He mostly stayed in the octagonal bunglow of this palace. In 1883 when Swami Dayanand Saraswati came to Jodhpur, his sermons were arranged for the public in the public ground of this palace. Even Jaswant Singh used to listen to Swami Dayanand in this palace only. Now income tax office functions takes place in this palace

Ummed garden covers an area of 82 acres. developed by Maharaja Umed Singh, it has green lawns, towering Ashoka trees, roses and seasonal flowers, museum, fountains, library and a zoo.In 1978 'Walk-in Aviary' was constructed there one could see different types of birds, local, African and Australian parrots, ducks, rabbits etc; in their natural environment. There are large cages for bears, foxes, deers, lions leopard etc. It is place frequented by children and adults with equal interest.

It was made by queen Jadechi Rajkanwar after the death of her husband, king Jaswant Singh. Major Part of the temple is made of red sandstone, carved with beautiful filigree work. The heart of the temple has the statue of Ranchhodji made of black marble.It has green, yellow and blue glassess fixed on its main door.

Achal Nath Shivalaya was constructed by Nanak Devi, queen of Rao Ganga. The construction was completed on 21st May 1531. A large water reservoir called Bawari was made near the Shivlinga which is known as Ganga Bawari. The Garbh Griha, Mandap and Kirtan Bhawan of the temple are made of carved Chhitar stone
Achal Nath Shivalaya was constructed by Nanak Devi, queen of Rao Ganga. The construction was completed on 21st May 1531. A large water reservoir called Bawari was made near the Shivlinga which is known as Ganga Bawari. The Garbh Griha, Mandap and Kirtan Bhawan of the temple are made of carved Chhitar stone

Siddhnath Shiv temple is located between Takhat Sagar hills. On the road going from the right of filter house on Jodhpur-Chopasani Road, on crossing the stairs made by cutting rocks, one can reach Siddhnath temple. Many years ago it was an absolutely deserted place. And because of that, a hermit Veetragi Narain Swami started staying here. He was a highly worshipped and respected saint, known in the nearby areas. Once a handicapped saint named Gaurishanker, later known as Nepali Baba, came to this place. He had only four fingers in each of his hand and foot. He made a big temple by cutting stones, which is now known as Siddhnath

The area which is called Ratanada was named after a dog called Rata. About 150 years ago a teacher Radidas in a place called Gorunda saw a statue of Vinayakji in the hills of Ratanada. The statue is eight feet high and five feet wide


Contact Details
Bachraj Ji Ka Bagh
9th Chopasni Road
Jodhpur (Raj.) INDIA